In 1818 St Mary's Church was constructed on a site donated by Charles Denham Jephson Norreys, proprietor of Mallow Castle. William O'Brien M.P, a Mallow politician of strong Nationalist views described it a"as barn like as humility could make it, in order to soften the wrath of the Ascendancy". At that time like many other Catholic Churches it had an earthen floor and lacked seats.
When the row of houses which distanced the Church from the Main Street had been removed, Canon John Wigmore, Parish Priest, constructed the present Romanesque facade and laid the foundations for the campanile (bell tower). As an indication of good ecumenical relations in Mallow an exchange of bells took place between St. Anne's and St. Mary's Churches which at the time suited both structures.
In 1968 when St. Mary's Church was 150 years old, a professional survey of the roof indicated that a replacement was necessary. On May 1st 1996 the Church was closed for a year and major work was undertaken on the main structure and on the interior at a cost of over one million pounds.
The Church is held in great affection by the people of Mallow. A precious link with the past is a small silver Chalice dating back to Penal Times. This Chalice is dated 1680 and inscribed "Ora Pro P.N.M." The Chalice and its Paten were found concealed in a wall at the top of present day Chapel Lane where there was once a Mass House.
In 2018 St. Mary's celebrated its Bi-Centenary. The Church was painted and a new timber floor was constructed on the altar. The old Sanctuary Lamp was also returned to its original position.
Download the booklet of Saint mary's church
Church of the Resurrection
At a meeting on January 19th 1963 presided over by the Parish Priest Monsignor James Sheedy, it was decided to build a Church to cater for the expanding Parish south of the river Blackwater on a site of two acres donated by Mrs. Kate O'Leary. The Church designed by architect J.R. Boyd Barrett seats around a thousand people and its fan shaped design focused on the altar and gives a clear view to everyone in the congregation. Daniel Hegarty & Sons of Cork were the builders.
Bishop John Ahern blessed and laid the Foundation Stone on September 21st 1966. The building was completed at a cost of £150,000 and the Church blessed by Bishop Ahern on December 11th 1968.
After further work directed by architects Patrick & Kevin O'Keeffe at a cost of £100,000 the Church was solemnly dedicated by Bishop John Magee on September 8th 1991.
St Anne’s Church
This was the old Parish Church of Mallow, now in a ruined state. In 1584 Sir John Norreys, Lord President of Munster, established his headquarters at Mallow Castle. St. Anne's then passed into the hands of the Reformed Church. The Church suffered damage in the Williamite wars. In 1824 it was replaced by St. James' Church which still serves the Church of Ireland congregation today.
The Parish pastoral council is a leadership group through which priests and people work together as partners in furthering the mission of Christ.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.